Spartanburg Water is an award-winning utility that has created a culture of innovation, an environment of continuous improvement, and an atmosphere of investment in the development and future of our employees. We are seeking a self-starting, creative individual that has a desire to build on our successes and grow as a professional.
Nestled in the Piedmont region of South Carolina and a short drive away from the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains and breath-taking beaches, Spartanburg is a thriving and growing community that is home to seven diverse and well-known institutions of higher learning. Residents enjoy incredible outdoor recreation opportunities, an eclectic and delicious local restaurant and brewery scene, a vibrant cultural environment and the benefits of strong economic growth with an affordable cost of living.
Culture of Innovation: Through innovative technologies and industry leading practices, Spartanburg Water has had the honor of twice receiving recognition as a Utility of the Future Today – and as one of only two South Carolina utilities to ever receive the award and only one of 18 utilities globally to receive the honor a second time. We encourage innovation in all that we do.
Environment of Continuous Improvement: We strive each day to continuously improve our processes to deliver the best possible drinking water and the most robust wastewater services possible. Spartanburg Water most recently won the Director’s Award from the Partnership for Clean Water, illustrating our commitment to continuous improvement and efficiency.
Atmosphere of Investment: Spartanburg Water offers a generous compensation package and participation in the SC Retirement System. Spartanburg Water firmly believes in the growth of all employees by providing them with development opportunities through tuition reimbursement, specialized training, and opportunities through affiliations through national industry organizations. In addition, we invest in the improvement and sustainability of our company.
What is expected of our Wastewater Treatment Superintendent?
1. The Wastewater Superintendent has the overall responsibility for the continuous improvement and successful compliance to all regulatory requirements for all eight Spartanburg Sanitary Sewer District wastewater facilities, treatment facility pump stations, and the biosolids operation. Success is achieved by:
· Creating a highly effective workforce through training and developing team members
· Applying process control and statistical tools to drive improvements and efficiency in every aspect of the operation.
· Knowing and understanding all contributors to the system including the collection system, industrial customers and hauled septage providers.
· Growing personal knowledge and the knowledge of staff through participation in in national and state water industry groups such as WEASC, NACWA, AWWA, etc.
2. The Wastewater Superintendent standardizes operations through:
· Effective document control of SOPs, guidance policies, and permits using a Utility Management System (UMS.)
· Documenting and following BMPs for wastewater operations.
· Comparison against established national industry benchmarks such as those offered by the AWWA.
3. The Wastewater Superintendent leads a high performance and accountable team where everyone in the organization is responsible for the overall performance and outcomes of the organization. This is possible through:
· Effective management and development of all staff members.
· Provision of direction and technical support.
· Resolution of operational, process, safety, and personnel issues through detailed investigations and using root cause analysis.
4. The Wastewater Treatment Superintendent understands the importance of critical equipment involved in the wastewater treatment process and drives the upkeep of the equipment by:
· Actively communicating with maintenance organization.
· Employing operator driven preventive maintenance strategies.
· Effectively planning, budgeting, and stringently spending capital and depreciation funds.
5. The Wastewater Treatment Superintendent is fiscally responsible for adhering to budgets by:
· Preparing budgets through the analysis of historical and future process information.
· Reviewing expenditures and analyzing monthly data for spending trends...
· Communicating with operational leads and staff on budgetary performance.
6. The Wastewater Treatment Superintendent drives compliance at all levels of the organization by:
· Providing a safe and secure workplace to all employees.
· Working closely with the Compliance Supervisor to provide comments to proposed regulatory changes and inputs for applicable permit renewal applications.
· Reviewing daily process and laboratory data to perform trend analyses for critical permit and process parameters.
· Reviews monthly DMR data with the operational staff.
· Maintaining a close relationship with SCDHEC and other regulatory agencies.
7. The Wastewater Superintendent communicates at all levels through:
· Effective writing of reports to upper management and outside organization.
· Efficient and purposeful meetings.
· Open dialogue with other groups throughout the organization.
· Public outreach and education opportunities.
What minimum qualifications and experience requirements are necessary to be most successful in this essential leadership role?
Our Wastewater Treatment Superintendent should possess a Bachelor’s degree in biology, engineering, or other field related to wastewater treatment, and 5 years of experience operating and maintaining wastewater treatment plants and treatment related pump stations, three of which must have been at the supervisory level; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. The qualified candidate possess S.C. Class “A” Biological Wastewater Operator certification, or have the ability to secure an “A” certification within 2 years of employment. The candidate must also possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.