Assistant Public Utilities Director
Job Title: Assistant Public Utilities Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Public Utilities Director
Location/Hours: City Hall, Albemarle, NC/M-F, 8a-5p (some nights and weekends)
Hiring Rate: $65,000-$80,000/year depending on experience
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This position is responsible for complex professional and administrative work planning, organizing and directing of public utilities systems operations and administrative functions within the Public Utilities Department; acts in the absence of the Director.
· Assists Public Utilities Director with the planning, organizing and directing activities related to plant operations, process control, laboratory analysis, customer service, billing, water distribution, electric distribution, and preventive maintenance and repair.
· Assists the Director with comprehensive personnel management for the department including hiring, promotion, training, discipline, evaluation, and other personnel actions and decisions.
· Advises management and participates in planning for current and future capacity needs and plant and systems modifications for increased efficiency or regulatory compliance.
· Plans and manages capital facilities construction, upgrade and maintenance; works with engineers, contractors, regulators, granting agencies and others to maintain necessary capacity, efficiency and regulatory compliance for managed utilities.
· Advises Public Utilities Director, City Management and City Council on best practices in areas such as sewer use ordinance, sludge management, water consumer confidence, utility rates and fees, use of technology, customer service excellence, etc.
· Reviews state and federal legislation, public policy proposals, actions of various regulatory bodies, attorney generals' opinions, court opinions, etc., pertaining to administration and operations of public utilities programs, and prepares or modifies policies and procedures to ensure Department's adherence to applicable requirements; coordinates emergency management planning and execution.
· Develops, prepares or reviews various reports, engineering studies, compliance performance data and standards as required by Federal, State, and/or Local regulations.
· Reviews and maintains files of various contracts, inter-governmental compacts and other agreements binding upon Department and ensues adherence of policies, procedures, programs, operations, etc.; coordinates with bulk customers such as other municipalities; works with economic development issues and industrial customers on special issues.
· Attends meetings of various local, state, regional and/or national committees, associations, task forces, etc., as appropriate, providing input based observations and expertise, and participating in activities of such groups as appropriate; assists with coordinating various issues with ElectriCities.
· Assumes duties and responsibilities of Director of Utilities and/or division heads in their absence, ensuring adherence to established policies, procedures and standards.
· Additional Job Duties
· Performs other related work as required
· Bachelor's degree in public administration, environmental sciences, civil engineering technology or related field and considerable experience in operations and administration of electric, water and/or wastewater systems; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in administration of governmental public service programs or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge skills and abilities.
· Possession of a valid North Carolina Driver’s license.
· May require certifications, or the ability to obtain, as determined by the City.
· Must establish residency in Stanly County, or a contiguous county, within six months of the date of employment.
ABOUT THE CITY OF ALBEMARLE
The City of Albemarle is home to approximately 16,000 residents and provides a full range of municipal services to a growing community. Albemarle has a very strong and stable history in the Council-Manager form of government. The successful candidate must have effective interpersonal skills and desire to serve our community with humility and respect, honesty, integrity, and teamwork.
The City of Albemarle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply